Wednesday 17 December 2008

Decoupage

Since I'm a pretty frugal person (though my wife would say otherwise!!) every time I finish a silk paper cut I'm left with heaps of beautifully shaped scraps. I hate to throw them away so I carefully collect and store them. I realized I needed to use them in some way, so I started sticking them onto unpainted bamboo bowls and plates.

This one I did months ago, but I decided to add a poem to it to see how the shapes and writing interacted.

Here are some very recent examples, but instead of using scraps I purposely cut flower shapes out of silk paper and carefully glued them to the plate.


This last one is actually two layers of different colour silk paper slightly offset to give a blurring effect.

Now all I have to do is set up an Etsy account and try to sell the stuff! That'll be my next project.

5 comments:

Jazmin velasco said...

Aaaaaarrrgh! that is excellent. I am also storing tons of japanese origami paper because it's sooo beautiful I can't think of throwing it away. Great idea!

Cindy Bean said...

These are so awesome! I love the lacy looking flower.

High Desert Diva said...

I like the decoupage!

And Etsy is a perfect idea.

Anonymous said...

Yay! The words have arrived!
Check out the 'Sackner Archive of Concrete and Visual Poetry'

Tim Budden said...

Thanks for all the comments. Decoupage is definitely the most eco friendly way to get rid of all my scraps!