Sunday 18 January 2009

Silk Shadows


After a chilly week the sun came out today and while basking in the warm sunshine I took a few photos of my new 'Bug cut'. Since working on the silk paper cut 'Taipei Living' (2006) I've become interested in bugs - their long legs, bulging eyes, and general scuttleness fascinates me. The art work for 'A Walk on the Wild Side' (see previous post) had lots of bugs hidden away. This new cut can actually stand up as it's made from two pieces of silk glued to card. Boy, it was really hard to cut as it was so thick!


I'm thinking on new applications for my silk paper cutting and I'm really interested in getting my cuts to stand up and using light to play with the cut and shadows.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now you're talking! How about some kind of sconces that could hold these cuts and project the shadow onto a wall above, or nearby? Magical!

Anonymous said...

Such find detail, can imagine they would look really good with the image projected on a wall in some way. I have just started paper cutting, not as detailed as yours but I am working at it.

aimee said...

your papercuts are spectacular!

Alexandra Hedberg said...

I agree with the others - it would look good projected on a wall in some way.